Re: 5.2-CURRENT constantly crashing

From: Robert Watson <rwatson_at_FreeBSD.org>
Date: Thu, 29 Jul 2004 11:46:47 -0400 (EDT)
On Thu, 29 Jul 2004, George D. Gal wrote:

> I experience the same dead freezes about on average 1x per day on my
> Dell D600 laptop. Although I'm really not sure what's causing it. Has
> anyone seen the problems go away? I really notice the problem when I'm
> using some more memory intensive apps like JRE or Mozilla Firefox, etc..

It appears to be triggered most frequently with threading, and most
frequently (perhaps always?) with PREEMPTION, maybe also less frequently
with SMP (although I haven't seen it with SMP and no PREEMPTION).  On my
notebook, disabling PREEMPTION didn't appear to have any negative effect
on interactivity or performance, but I also don't really use sound so
probably wouldn't notice things like chopiness in audio processing.

> Does having a debugging version of the kernel help at all to diagnose
> these issues?

I think there's enough debugging information floating around that someone
will figure it out shortly.  There have been some test patches handed
around, but every time I get near one I stop being able to reproduce the
problem on my test box :-).  Now that John Baldwin is back from his
vacation that should help.

robert_at_fledge.watson.org      Principal Research Scientist, McAfee Research