Re: panic from July 21 kernel (acpi related?)

From: Doug White <dwhite_at_gumbysoft.com>
Date: Thu, 29 Jul 2004 10:49:33 -0700 (PDT)
On Thu, 29 Jul 2004, Mike Hunter wrote:

> > Is the mouse plugged into the keyboard or into the laptop directly?
> >
> > Sounds power related, like the USB ports can't handle the load and its
> > causing supply problems.
>
> Looks like you were right (nice catch)!  If I boot my laptop with my
> logitech USB mouse (ums0: Logitech USB-PS/2 Optical Mouse, rev 2.00/11.10,
> addr 2, iclass 3/1 ums0: 3 buttons and Z dir.) it seems to crash with or
> without AC power hooked up.  But I know for sure it's crashed with no
> mouse hooked up.  And I also know for sure that it doesn't crash if I have
> the mouse *and* a USB keyboard hooked up.
>
> Thanks again for the suggestion...anything I can do to fix this?

How many USB ports does your laptop have? If it has 2, try plugging each
into the machine directly.  If that still crashes, you may have to use a
powered USB hub to drive both devices.. or find more power efficient USB
devices :)

If your laptop can't provide full load to the USB port there isn't much
you can do directly since its a design problem with the board.  It doesn't
seem like an underperforming battery or p/s since it affects both modes.