Re: panic from July 21 kernel (acpi related?)

From: Doug White <dwhite_at_gumbysoft.com>
Date: Fri, 30 Jul 2004 12:26:56 -0700 (PDT)
On Thu, 29 Jul 2004, Mike Hunter wrote:

> > If it has 2, try plugging each into the machine directly.
>
> I don't know what you mean by this.  When I've run with the external
> keyboard and mouse, I do plug in directly (I don't have a docking
> station.)

Plug both keyboard and mouse into the onboard ports as opposed to plugging
the mouse into the keyboard and the keyboard into the machine.

> I don't believe it's truly a power problem, because it works fine under
> windows XP and knoppix linux.  I've never had it crash when plugging in a
> USB device, and this crash seems to happen right before it wants to give
> me the login prompt, so it seems like if it were truly a power issue I'd
> have problems in these circumstances.

Not necessarily, it depends on how the OS is configuring the ACPI CPU
states. At the log prompt is a big CPU load and disk i/o spurt and it
might drain the system enough, but linux & windows access patterns don't
happend to draw enough juice at one point to cause the memory error.

Otherwise it must be a chipset config issue or a quirk in the controller
which would have to be debugged with the hardware in hand. Definitely not
a problem that would be debuggable over email.