Re: RFC: Alternate patch to have true new-style rc.d scripts in ports (without touching localpkg)

From: Mike Makonnen <mtm_at_identd.net>
Date: Sat, 31 Jul 2004 18:58:23 +0300
On Sat, Jul 31, 2004 at 05:42:05PM +0200, Oliver Eikemeier wrote:

> NetBSD seems to be able to cope with this situation for two year now. Of
> course a wrongly written startup script could break things, but this was
> already possible before. A script could for example hang, I've
> experienced this serveral times myself.

Last time I checked NetBSD is not FreeBSD. That it has worked for them
is an additional data point yes, but not a determining factor.

> >Ok, can you do the following then:
> >
> >1. When you (portmgr) are ready put back the rc.d/localpkg changes
> >2. Put the ordering of ports scripts with base system
> >   scripts behind an rc.conf(5) knob, and modify your patch so both
> >   /etc/rc and /etc/rc.d/localpkg do the right thing depending on
> >whether
> >   it's on or off.
>
> I suggest changing the extension for sourcing scripts to `.rc' and
> ignore `.sh' scripts in rc/rc.shutdown.    The unmodified localpkg
> should handle these.

As I have already said, this is a gratuitous digression to support
buggy rc.d ports script who's bugginess has only existed on
5-CURRENT up to now.

Since, you and I don't seem to agree on this issue and since we both
don't seem to be restating the same things over and over againg.
why don't we refrain for replying to this thread unless we have something
new to add?

Cheers.
--
Mike Makonnen  | GPG-KEY: http://www.identd.net/~mtm/mtm.asc
mtm_at_identd.net | Fingerprint: AC7B 5672 2D11 F4D0 EBF8  5279 5359 2B82 7CD4 1F55