Re: malloc(M_WAITOK) of"Mbuf",forcing M_NOWAIT ......

From: Robert Watson <rwatson_at_FreeBSD.org>
Date: Tue, 1 Jun 2004 19:38:44 -0400 (EDT)
On Tue, 1 Jun 2004, Bosko Milekic wrote:

>   The current interim solution, which I committed with mbuma,
>   forces all UMA allocations for the moment to occur with
>   M_NOWAIT unless WITNESS is available and we know for a fact
>   that we're not holding any locks other than Giant.  This is
>   not a permanent solution.

Per our discussions, the fix is "Don't do that", and in general I think
there are only a few cases where we have this problem.  I had some patches
for the NFS code in question from last time I put a WITNESS warning in
mballoc(), I'll see if I can dig them up.  There are also some cases where
mbuf allocation is assumed not to fail and we need to make sure the code
handles that better (generally also in NFS).

robert_at_fledge.watson.org      Senior Research Scientist, McAfee Research