Re: Cap on network speed in CURRENT?

From: Luke <luked_at_pobox.com>
Date: Tue, 1 Jun 2004 19:46:12 -0700 (PDT)
>> This is indeed a very slow host, by modern standards.  It's a fussy old
>> Pentium 166MHz that I've put through hell for the last eight years or
>> so.
>>
>> I'm building a kernel with witness and invariants turned off.  Building
>> a kernel usually takes overnight.  I'll try it out tomorrow and see how
>> it goes.  If those testing programs don't require X, I'll see about
>> installing one of them to help me figure out what's going on.  The iperf
>> site looks like it's got some helpful information that I should read
>> too.
>
> Also, try disabling SMP and possibly APIC support if it's a UP box.
> There's a measurable performance overhead to compiling with SMP support,
> since mutexes have to be compiled with locked instructions.

This is a dual processor box, but I gave up and took SMP and APIC out of
the kernel back in mid-April because the system would always panic on
startup if I had both multiprocessor support and a RAID array defined at
the same time.
I made a thread about it on freebsd-questions but got no responses, so in
complete bafflement I just turned off the multiprocessor support and
rebuilt everything.  The RAID was more important to me.
http://docs.FreeBSD.org/cgi/mid.cgi?Pine.NEB.4.58.0404292248590.14141
I wouldn't be a bit surprised if that's a hardware problem.  This old
motherboard has a lot of quirks and I think it's probably going to die the
next time I open the case.

Thanks for the tip though.  I wouldn't have thought of that.