Re: uipc_socket2.c panic

From: Robert Watson <rwatson_at_FreeBSD.org>
Date: Wed, 2 Jun 2004 15:51:21 -0400 (EDT)
On Wed, 2 Jun 2004, Bosko Milekic wrote:

> You wrote:
> >Additional information (I forgot to mention it - I apology)
> >I am running with debug.mpsafenet=1
>
>   This is highly relevant.  It means that there is probably a problem
>   in network locking somewhere.  I have CC'd Robert to make sure he
>   is in on the loop for this.

Actually, what it means is that someone didn't read the UPDATING entry
relating to debug.mpsafenet or the heads up message saying "Do not use
debug.mpsafenet=1".  Not all of the netperf work is merged yet, and
specifically, the socket locking isn't merged.  This could easily explain
socket buffer corruption.  I'll be merging a lot of that locking this
week, but until that merging is done, you don't want to run with
debug.mpsafenet=1 unless you're also running with the netperf patch set
at:

    http://www.watson.org/~robert/freebsd/netperf/

I'm in the throes of updating that patch for recent merges of accept
locking yesterday.

robert_at_fledge.watson.org      Senior Research Scientist, McAfee Research