Re: 5.2.1 on EPIA M1000 board

From: Darryl Okahata <darrylo_at_soco.agilent.com>
Date: Wed, 02 Jun 2004 14:02:39 -0700
Robert Downes <nullentropy_at_lineone.net> wrote:

> Seeing as this is an improvement on things in 5.1 so far, I'm going to
> risk everything (well, this bare installation with no user files) and
> buildworld and kernel for 5.2.1 and see if I get wild chaos, or if this
> new cable appeases the dark lords of data throughput.

     Last week, I installed 5.2 onto an EPIA M10000, and it worked
fine.  I "upgraded" (;-) to -current over the weekend, and it appears to
be running fine (it's currently doing a long "portupgrade -Rrb").  I am
using a plain 3.5" disk (Seagate), however, and not a 2.5" one.

[ Well, I should say that I *think* I have an M10000.  I ordered an
  M10000, and the board looks like an M10000 (all the major chips and
  connectors are in the correct locations), but the manual that came
  with the board says, "Falcon".  I'm also a bit surprised at the power
  consumption, although, in hindsight, it's probably in the right
  ballpark: with the motherboard, 512MB PC2100 RAM, DVDROM drive, two 2"
  fans, and one 3.5" 7200 RPM Seagate ST3200822A drive, it's sucking up
  ~60W idle (the power supply also has a ~3-4" fan).  ]

--
	Darryl Okahata
	darrylo_at_soco.agilent.com