Re: creating a freebsd boot floppy with kernel?

From: Craig Rodrigues <rodrigc_at_crodrigues.org>
Date: Thu, 3 Jun 2004 00:05:21 -0400
On Wed, Jun 02, 2004 at 09:56:56PM -0600, darren_at_chatcanada.net wrote:
> If I want to create a small bsd, rather a boot floppy with very limited
> software as I won't be needing much...(one program and harddrive access)
> how should I go about it..  I tried compiling a custom kernel and the
> smalest I seem to have been able to make is 2mb.  I want to try the
> floppies but I could possibly move to cd's.

I have a lot of experience making custom FreeBSD distributions.
It's not hard once you get the hang of it.  If you can
use a CD, go for it....CD's are cheap, and can hold hundreds
of megabytes of data, so are much easier to work with than floppies.

Take a look at the LiveCD project:  http://livecd.sourceforge.net
which has a Bourne shell script which does a lot of the dirty
work for you.

Another good project to look at is: FreeSBIE http://www.freesbie.org.
They have a nice distribution which boots off of CD, and
even has X11 and networking enabled.

--
Craig Rodrigues
http://crodrigues.org