Re: 5.2.1 on EPIA M1000 board

From: Darryl Okahata <darrylo_at_soco.agilent.com>
Date: Thu, 03 Jun 2004 00:58:23 -0700
Robert Downes <nullentropy_at_lineone.net> wrote:

> I only have a Brennenstuhl PM 230 socket appliance meter. I think it is
> using a bogus measurement for power, and is either giving me apparent
> power or a crude measurement of cos thi as the power factor, but I do
> not think it is actually calculating true power. So it's telling me that
> an EPIA M1000 with a CPU fan (soon to be removed) and one 2.5" drive is
> using 56W or more on a constant basis. Which seems incorrect.

     Well, I'm using a (cheap) sampling wattmeter, which is supposed to
sample instantaneous voltage/current around 1k/sec, and it says that I'm
using around ~60W with my setup (no monitor).  I have no reason to
disbelieve it.  Yours sounds on the high side, as I've also got a 3.5"
disk and a DVDROM drive.

> Assuming linear inaccuracy (risky assumption), that's still a third of
> the reported 150W or so that my big box (P4, two optical drives, seven
> fans or so) is clocking up.

     Heh.  My AMD Athlon XP 2100 sucks up around ~290W, counting an old
17" monitor (768MB PC2100, 2 HDs, CDRW, DVDRW, GEForce 4 Ti200, TV card,
LAN card, & four fans ;-).  I wish my "space heater" would use up only
150W.  ;-)

> So it looks like my new EPIA is running correctly. All I've got to do
> now is work out where to get cheap 'lint free' cloth in the UK so I can
> clean the heatsink and CPU and install the e-Otonashi fanless heatlane.
> Then I'll finally have the silent server I've been waiting for. (Silent
> but for the newly tearing UDMA 100 disk access.)

     How warm (roughly) is yours running?  I've got mine stuck in an
aluminum case, and the air being blown out is somewhat warm.  I haven't
bothered to see where the heat is coming from, but I'd be pretty wary of
removing a CPU fan (although your proposed setup sounds fine).

--
	Darryl Okahata
	darrylo_at_soco.agilent.com