Re: Thinkpad panic woes (was Re: CDRW causes Thinkpad T41 to panic)

From: Kevin Oberman <oberman_at_es.net>
Date: Thu, 03 Jun 2004 09:46:53 -0700
> Date: Thu, 3 Jun 2004 11:53:32 +0200
> From: Tobias Roth <roth_at_iam.unibe.ch>
> Sender: owner-freebsd-current_at_freebsd.org
>
> On Tue, Jun 01, 2004 at 09:12:00PM -0400, Daniel Eischen wrote:
> > > ad0: 35293MB <HTS548040MAT00> [71707/16/63] at ata0-master UDMA100
> > > ata1-slave: FAILURE - ATAPI_IDENTIFY no interrupt
> > > ata1-slave: FAILURE - ATAPI_IDENTIFY no interrupt
> > > acd0: CDRW <UJDA755zDVD/CDRW> at ata1-master UDMA33
> > > Memory modified after free 0xc44d8a00(508) val=1ff01ff _at_ 0xc44d8a00
> >
> > Has anyone figured this out yet?  Here's a traceback from my
>
> here are my observations: I have a T30 running -CURRENT from May 25th and
> i was able to test with two cdrw drives. one worked (almost) perfectly,
> the other one i consider broken after the results of my tests.
>
> i was always able to boot, never got a panic. with the broken drive, i got
> the
>   ata1-slave: FAILURE - ATAPI_IDENTIFY no interrupt
> errors others are seeing. the non-broken one did not show any errors during
> boot.
>
> with the non-broken one, i was able to write several cd-r in a row. i
> verified all of them, they are fine. i used
>   burncd -e -s max data image.iso fixate
> to burn them. after the last burn, however, i got these errors when i
> tried to mount the cd-r (no errors during burn, however):
>   kernel: acd0: WARNING - REQUEST_SENSE read data overrun 18>0
>   last message repeated 58 times
> i rebooted the machine and was then able to mount and read the same cd-r
> without an error. so this is were a bug in FreeBSD might be.
>
> now the errors the broken drive showed during both writing and reading:
>   kernel: acd0: FAILURE - READ_TRACK_INFO ILLEGAL REQUEST asc=0x24 ascq=0x00 error=4<ABORTED>
>   kernel: acd0: WARNING - REQUEST_SENSE read data overrun 18>0
>   last message repeated 58 times
>   kernel: acd0: FAILURE - REQUEST_SENSE MEDIUM ERROR asc=0x0c ascq=0x00 error=4<ABORTED>
>   kernel: acd0: WARNING - REQUEST_SENSE read data overrun 18>0
>   last message repeated 58 times
>
> luckily, my broken drive still is on warranty. damn shame they break so
> easily, i harldy used it and do not take it with me when moving around
> with the laptop most of the time.
>
> hopefully, my obervations helped anyone.

I also have a T30 and have no issues at all with the DVD/CDRW. I do know
that I had to update the firmware for the drive (Toshiba) a while back
to make it work orrectly with FreeBSD drivers.

The firmware update fixed all of my problems and is available from the
IBM support site. It's multiple floppy images. You only need one of
them, but it's not obvious which one you need for the Toshiba driver I
have as it covers firmware updates for all of the ThinkPad CD drives IBM
uses or has used.
--
R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)