Re: HEADS UP! KSE needs more attention

From: Kris Kennaway <kris_at_obsecurity.org>
Date: Sun, 6 Jun 2004 14:59:21 -0700
On Sun, Jun 06, 2004 at 03:49:13PM -0600, Scott Long wrote:

> amd64 is approaching critical mass for tier-1.  There are a number of
> developers that own amd64 hardware now, and a number of users who are
> asking about it on the mailing lists.  Peter is finishing up the last
> blocking item for it (kld's) not including the observed KSE problems.
> It's very close and I _will_ hold up the release for it to get done.
> amd64 is the future of commodity computing and we aren't going to
> ignore it for 5-STABLE.

amd64 has a bug with swapping - when something begins to access swap,
the entire system becomes almost entirely unresponsive (e.g. no mouse
response for up to 10 seconds) until it stops.  Peter has some ideas
about it, but it's a serious enough bug that it forced me to stop
using amd64 as my desktop machine (hello, kde!).

Kris