Re: HEADS UP! KSE needs more attention

From: Marcel Moolenaar <marcel_at_xcllnt.net>
Date: Sun, 6 Jun 2004 15:13:30 -0700
On Sun, Jun 06, 2004 at 03:46:44PM -0600, Scott Long wrote:

> >As for alpha, we don't even seem to be able to degrade it to tier 2
> >without losing face. kris_at_ has already stopped package builds for it
> >for his own sake.
>
> It's not that there is face to loose on alpha, it's that every time
> I announce that alpha is going to be killed unless issues X, Y, and Z
> are fixed, someone comes along and fixes X, part of Y, and promises
> to fix Z.

I don't read anything I haven't read before. People have made promises
before and good intentions notwithstanding, you cannot keep a project
hostage this way. Degrade alpha and only promote it after people have
actually demonstrated that alpha is tier 1 material after all.

> At this point, I'm going to advocate that Alpha be dropped from Tier-1
> status for 5.3 and 5-STABLE and no longer be a blocking item for
> releases.

Just *do* it. You've been advocating for way too long.

--
 Marcel Moolenaar	  USPA: A-39004		 marcel_at_xcllnt.net