Re: HEADS UP! KSE needs more attention

From: Scott Long <scottl_at_freebsd.org>
Date: Mon, 07 Jun 2004 10:00:07 -0600
Doug Rabson wrote:
> On Mon, 2004-06-07 at 16:33, Scott Long wrote:
>
>>Doug Rabson wrote:

>>>I'll probably try to commit some kind of TLS support into current in the
>>>next couple of weeks. Its likely to only support i386 and will be
>>>stubbed out for other platforms. Right now, I'm just waiting for some
>>>kind of feedback from an nvidia developer whos testing it.
>>
>>I'm happy to see that it's gotten this far along, but it needs to be
>>available on all tier-1 platforms when it goes in.  For the sake of
>>argument, we'll call that amd64 and possibly sparc64.  My understanding
>>is that amd64 should be very similar to i386, yes?  Please let me know
>>what kind of help you need with getting this done.
>

> Well I'm not so sure that it does need to be supported on all tier 1
> platforms. If a given tier 1 platform has a TLS-capable toolchain then
> sure - its only about a hundred lines of code to add support once the
> toolchain support is there. Currently our toolchain only supports TLS on
> i386 and ia64. I think that a binutils upgrade might fix amd64 but the
> rest need a new compiler.
>
> Right now, there is only one real application which absolutely needs TLS
> and that is the NVidia OpenGL driver on i386. It looks like the DRM
> people will start using TLS at some point but they aren't using it now.
> If we reach 5.3 without any new toolchain support for TLS, I think we
> should ship with TLS support on only i386 and ia64. It seems silly to
> not support TLS on i386 (which people are begging for) because we can't
> do it on sparc64 (which no-one needs).

I agree completely.  I forgot to stress in the previous mail that there
is a strong push at the moment to get in gcc34 and binutils 2.15(?),
which should make TLS infrastructure available to amd64 and sparc64.
I don't think that sparc64 should be a hard requirement, but it should
at least be looked at and documented so that someone else can come along
and do the work.

Scott