Re: esd leaking file descriptors

From: Brian Feldman <green_at_freebsd.org>
Date: Mon, 7 Jun 2004 15:29:18 -0400
On Mon, Jun 07, 2004 at 08:37:05PM +0200, Stefan Ehmann wrote:
> On Mon, 2004-06-07 at 19:24, Brian Feldman wrote:
> > On Sun, Jun 06, 2004 at 10:47:09AM +0200, Stefan Ehmann wrote:
> > > When i run mpg321 -o esd foo.mp3 (or any other player that uses esd as
> > > output) lsof shows an increasing number of open files. It increases at a
> > > rate of about 50 files per second. System will run out of file
> > > descriptor eventually.
> > >
> > Check if esd is encountering exceptional conditions with the ktrace
> > facility.  You will wnat to run esd with ktrace(1) and then use
> > kdump(1) to view the log of system calls.  The other PC probably
> > also doesn't have the same hardware, so it's not so easy to see if
> > it's just a bug in -CURRENT.
>
> I just tried a kernel from June, 1st: esd doesn't leak any file
> descriptors. So it's definitely a CURRENT problem.
>
> I couldn't spot anything suspicous using ktrace (That is no notable
> difference compared to the other machine).
>
> Here are two excerpts from kdump output that basically repeat all the
> time:

I see a lot of accept(2) there... I think it's a good possibility
Robert accidentally broke accept[1]()'s error cleanup.  It seems
that the file is dropped but the fd is left sitting around in a
half-allocated state.  Many of those 'goto done;'s should be
'goto noconnection;'s, I believe.

  <> green_at_FreeBSD.org                               \  The Power to Serve! \