Re: ata(4) locks up system -- for too many reasons

From: Joe Rhett <jrhett_at_isite.net>
Date: Mon, 7 Jun 2004 13:00:28 -0700
Actually, the atapi support in general seems to require reboots far too
often.  Acer CD-ROM units work fine in DMA but are broken in PIO mode.
But once you get the BIG_READ errors, you have to reboot to clean it up.
Then I also found that if a CD has an error on it (or dust) it can cause
the same problem.

This is a fairly serious problem that really needs to be addressed.  I
don't reboot machines, ever.  For years at a time anyway.  Having to reboot
freebsd almost hourly during the diagnosis of this made me cringe.

--
Joe Rhett                                                      Chief Geek
JRhett_at_Isite.Net                                      Isite Services, Inc.