new rc.d style & ordering

From: Ivan Voras <ivoras_at_fer.hr>
Date: Wed, 09 Jun 2004 18:32:06 +0200
I've read the paper at http://www.mewburn.net/luke/talks/auug-2003/ and
there's a subject not clear to me yet:

What about services such as apache, which may or may not depend on services
such as databases, if they are installed? For example: If I run apache with
php and mysql, I want mysql to be started before apache. But there are users
who don't require mysql, so putting a hard dependancy (with REQUIRE keyword)
in apache.sh isn't an option (and similary with other databases and
services, such as postgresql, ldap, etc.). Maybe there's a
REQUIRE-IF-INSTALLED functionality I'm missing (though I think that would be
a bad idea)?

(Also, in the above example, mysql is actually a dependancy of PHP which
runs as a module in apache, but apache can require mysql by itself (as
authentication database) - what then?).

I'm asking this in attempt to figure out what is needed to convert startup
scripts such as apache.sh to new-style rc.d.

--
Every sufficiently advanced magic is indistinguishable from technology
    - Arthur C Anticlarke