Re: How much of a risk is 5.x ... ?

From: Marc G. Fournier <scrappy_at_hub.org>
Date: Fri, 11 Jun 2004 16:26:13 -0300 (ADT)
On Fri, 11 Jun 2004, Robert Watson wrote:

> On Fri, 11 Jun 2004, Marc G. Fournier wrote:
>
>> So, I think the question more or less comes down to whether or not 5.x
>> is to the point where I could be as confident with it as I am with
>> 4-STABLE?  Like, I believe that most of the fixes that David and Tor put
>> into 4.x for the unionfs stuff were migrated up to 5.x (or vice versa),
>> but I also know that there are several things I can't do with it under
>> 4.x, nor expect to be able to under 5.x ... but should I expect 5.x's
>> unionfs to be in about the same stable as 4.x?  Or in a worse state?
>
> I can't speak specifically to unionfs, but I can speak generally to 5.x.
> It's not yet "-STABLE" -- many people are using it in production, but
> they're using it (hopefully) with the knowledge that we're still actively
> working in areas that produce intermittent instability and disruption.
> We're also actively working on performance: in some areas, the performance
> of 5.x is still substantially more poor that 4.x (in others, it's a lot
> faster).  For at least the next month or two, I would expect to users for
> 5.x (as opposed to 5.2.1) to be aware that they will want to read
> freebsd-current carefully to avoid disruption, and expect nits (that we'll
> work to sort out as quickly as we can).  Not everyone will have problems,
> and if you're careful to pick update dates carefully, you might well find
> it runs very well for you.  However, it is -CURRENT still!

To the above ... that, to the grief of some around me, has never been a
big issue ... even with 4-STABLE, I've always expected those "periods of
instability and disruption" that have happened.  But, based on the above,
especially the comment about performance, I think I'll hold off the bit
longer, and make it 'the next server' to give that a bit longer to sort
itself out ...

Thanks ...

----
Email: scrappy_at_hub.org           Yahoo!: yscrappy              ICQ: 7615664