Re: lockups

From: Stijn Hoop <stijn_at_win.tue.nl>
Date: Sat, 12 Jun 2004 00:29:51 +0200
Hi,

On Thu, May 27, 2004 at 09:08:58PM +1000, Bruce Evans wrote:
> Interesting.  It seems that the problems handling nForce2 APICs are mainly
> in FreeBSD.  My A7N8X-E system behaves similarly, except I fixed the
> interrupt storm detection in -current so that the system is almost
> usable.

While installing FreeBSD on my new & shiny A7N8X-Deluxe I also ran into
this problem. Enabling the APIC triggers an interrupt storm on IRQ's > 16.
While -CURRENT at least boots (an older -CURRENT that I first tried to
install hung after determining the TSC), it still is unusable over the
network because the built-in xl0 keeps getting watchdog timeout's (it's
at irq20).

Disabling the APIC in the BIOS works around the problem (ACPI still enabled),
but unfortunately Windows won't boot in that case :/

Boot logs, kernel config, mptable, vmstat at

http://sandcat.nl/~stijn/freebsd/a7n8x-apic/

I fear for the worst considering the last line of mptable output, but I
figured it would be wise to at least provide a data point. And as sos's
signature so eloquently puts it, 'it works in windows!' :) :)

Unfortunately the verbose boot logs got truncated at the top due to the
"small" kernel ring buffer, and I don't have a serial cable handy. Maybe
tomorrow, if it's needed. Just let me know if I can provide anything else
also.

--Stijn

--
I really hate this damned machine