Minor HEADSUP - "New order" for newsyslog

From: Garance A Drosehn <gad_at_FreeBSD.org>
Date: Sat, 12 Jun 2004 15:54:02 -0400
I have flipped the switch in newsyslog, so it will now use the
"neworder" of performing it's tasks (rotating files, signaling
daemons, compressing files).

If anyone is particularly curious of tracking what the
difference is on their machines, I have a testing script in:

http://people.freebsd.org/~gad/newsyslog/newsyslog-TT

If you are up-to-date with newsyslog on current, you could:
     newsyslog-TT
     diff /var/tmp/log-nsl/standard /var/tmp/log-nsl/neworder

and you will see the difference in what would happen.  By
default that script using '-nv', so it will not rotate any
files.  And of course, if you run it when you have no files
to rotate, then there will be no difference in the output...

If you're more adventurous, you could put an entry in syslog
to run it every hour, and have it log the resulting changes
for every regular run of newsyslog.  That's how I've been
running the script for the past week or two.  READ the script
itself for details.  Note: so far I haven't seen any bugs in
my neworder changes to newsyslog.c, but it took me more than
a week before I got this stupid script to work exactly as I
wanted it to...

If you suspect something wrong with how the "neworder" is
working, you can add the line:
     <debug> oldorder
to your /etc/newsyslog/conf file.  However, that is a temporary
option, and I expect to remove it after a few weeks.  So, if
you *do* think there is a problem with the neworder-processing,
you should let me know about it.

--
Garance Alistair Drosehn     =      gad_at_gilead.netel.rpi.edu
Senior Systems Programmer               or   gad_at_FreeBSD.org