Re: lockups

From: Stijn Hoop <stijn_at_win.tue.nl>
Date: Mon, 14 Jun 2004 10:41:29 +0200
Hoi, [dutch by any chance? :)]

On Sat, Jun 12, 2004 at 01:25:28AM +0200, Arno J. Klaassen wrote:
> > On Thu, May 27, 2004 at 09:08:58PM +1000, Bruce Evans wrote:
> > > Interesting.  It seems that the problems handling nForce2 APICs are mainly
> > > in FreeBSD.  My A7N8X-E system behaves similarly, except I fixed the
> > > interrupt storm detection in -current so that the system is almost
> > > usable.
> >
> > While installing FreeBSD on my new & shiny A7N8X-Deluxe I also ran into
> > this problem. Enabling the APIC triggers an interrupt storm on IRQ's > 16.
> > While -CURRENT at least boots (an older -CURRENT that I first tried to
> > install hung after determining the TSC), it still is unusable over the
> > network because the built-in xl0 keeps getting watchdog timeout's (it's
> > at irq20).
>
> I worked around this problem by assiging a free irq in the BIOS
> (MB A7N266, not a A7N8, dunno if the A7N8 BIOS gives you
> this possibility)

Unfortunately, no. Disabling device apic in my custom kernel works though
(because no devices get IRQs > 16 most probably).

> > Disabling the APIC in the BIOS works around the problem (ACPI still
> > enabled), but unfortunately Windows won't boot in that case :/
>
> xl0 is rock-solid since with APIC and ACPI enabled

My guess is that the problem lies somewhere in the IRQ > 16 part of the
equation.

> NB-II, for Windows I use Samba and whatever I find a PC thrown on the street;
> but then, I dont like computer games ...

But I do! :) I see your point, and I knew beforehand that buying into nvidia
stuff wasn't a smart thing to do when you want to run FreeBSD. So I wouldn't
even have bought an nForce mainboard in the first place, if it weren't for my
friend offering me this (used for 4 months) mainboard for 55 EUR, which is
about half the new price and still lots cheaper than a new non-nForce one...

--Stijn

--
"What if everything you see is more than what you see -- the person next to
you is a warrior and the space that appears empty is a secret door to another