Re: Storing a lot of little files

From: Cyrille Lefevre <clefevre-lists_at_9online.fr>
Date: Tue, 15 Jun 2004 19:56:06 +0200
"Eugene" <el2000_at_km.ru> wrote:
> Hello freebsd-current,
>
>   I need to store a lot (hundreds of millions) of very little files (from 8
bytes
>   to 50K) in my filesystem.

some times ago, there where something called "inode fs" (aka IFS).
unfortunatelly, this was killed from -current (5.x) two years ago.

more details here (google "freebsd +ifs +inode"):

http://www.squid-cache.org/mail-archive/squid-dev/200101/0432.html
http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/cvsweb.cgi/src/sys/ufs/ifs/Attic/README
http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-fs/2003-June/000129.html

>   What's the best way to optimize it? Which newfs options can you
>   recommend me?

so, the best way would be to have multi-level directories to reduce
the number of entries in one directory whatever the underlying file
system is (except, maybe, database-like filesystems).

something like :

/a/b/c/cfile
/a/b/d/dfile
/a/c/e/efile
etc.

using google "million +files +directory +fs" :

http://aa11.cjb.net/sun_managers/2000/01/msg00303.html

Cyrille Lefevre.
--
home: mailto:cyrille.lefevre_at_laposte.net