Re: How to determine the L2 cache size on non-AMD CPUs (automatic page queue color tuning)?

From: Alexander Leidinger <Alexander_at_Leidinger.net>
Date: Wed, 16 Jun 2004 18:57:57 +0200
On Wed, 16 Jun 2004 09:35:40 -0700 (PDT)
John Polstra <jdp_at_polstra.com> wrote:

> On 16-Jun-2004 Radek Kozlowski wrote:

> > The latest version of cpuid is from 2002 and at least for my Athlon XP-M
> > processor it doesn't read the information about L2 cache correctly.
> > IIRC, for my L2 size it only takes one byte from the beginning of ecx
> > register, whereas in my case it is stored in two, a.s.o. So I wouldn't
> > rely on cpuid when it comes to newer CPUs.

If bootverbose prints the cache size correctly (at least on -current), I
already have code which does the right thing for your AMD CPU.

> Yes, but it gives working code that generally shows how to get the
> information.  Here's a link to an Intel document "Intel(R) Processor
> Idientification and the CPUID Instruction" that covers the newer CPUs:
>
>   http://www.intel.com/design/Xeon/applnots/24161825.pdf

I will have a look at both (the cpuid port and the PDF).

Thanks,
Alexander.

--
           I'm available to get hired (preferred in .lu).

http://www.Leidinger.net                       Alexander _at_ Leidinger.net