Re: Possible Threading problem with -CURRENT / MySQL?

From: Robert Watson <rwatson_at_freebsd.org>
Date: Thu, 17 Jun 2004 01:31:57 -0400 (EDT)
On Wed, 16 Jun 2004, Julian Elischer wrote:

> Robert, can you try see if HZ=5000 (up from 100) changes the
> performance?

I haven't explored the HZ=BIGGER case very thoroughly, but ran a couple of
test cases with HZ at 1000 instead of 100, and found that generally it
resulted in a slight (1.5%) performance drop in the smattering of cases I
looked at.  The cases I looked at were NETPERF-SMP-MPSAFE-ADMTX-HZ=1000,
NETPERF-SMP-MPSAFE-ADMTX-4BSD-!HTT-HZ=1000.

In general, I found that the biggest variables improving performance
relative to out-of-box SMP configuration were:

- Removing Giant from UNIX domain sockets
- Running with SCHED_4BSD instead of SCHED_ULE
- Disabling HTT
- Using ADAPTIVE_MUTEXES

By doing these things, I went from an out-of-box queries/sec for the
simple select "smack" with 11 clients from 2667 q/s to 6955 q/s, or a bit
over doubling the transaction rate.  That as compared to 4939 q/s, which
was the best UP result I got (Giant-free UNIX domain sockets, SCHED_4BSD):

20040615-UP				4898.71 q/s (22.39 stddev)
20040615-SMP				2666.93 q/s (32.01 stddev)
NETPERF-UP-MPSAFE-4BSD			4939.89 q/s (74.06 stddev)
NETPERF-SMP-MPSAFE-ADMTX-4BSD-!HTT	6955.18 q/s (156.91 stddev)

Some of my 4BSD performance numbers were also slightly pessimized with
what appears to be a property of the 4BSD scheduling period being longer
than ULE.  With ULE, the results settled on one loop of the benchmark.
With 4BSD, it sometimes took 2-3 loops of the benchmark to settle.  As a
result, 4BSD stddev's are also generally higher.  I haven't tried
regenerating the results dropping those outliers.

Using out-of-box -CURRENT without the netperf patches necessary to run
UNIX domain sockets safely, I got best results using:

20040615-UP-4BSD			4886.84 q/s (46.03 stddev)
20040615-SMP-ADMTX-4BSD-!HTT		5838.76 q/s (45.11 stddev)

In my environment, I couldn't easily test ULE without HTT, since the HTT
disabling sysctl/tunable with ULE results in a hang.

(Obviously, in all of the above, WITNESS and INVARIANTS are disabled; I
didn't disable the userspace malloc debugging flags).

robert_at_fledge.watson.org      Senior Research Scientist, McAfee Research