Re: ppp with dynamic IPs and ipfw "me"

From: Brad Knowles <brad.knowles_at_skynet.be>
Date: Thu, 17 Jun 2004 12:09:23 +0200
At 11:36 AM +0200 2004-06-17, Oliver Fromme wrote:

>  I'm not sure if this is related to your problem, but you
>  have to kill and restart ntpd every time you get a new IP.
>  That's because ntpd binds to every IP address it finds upon
>  startup explicitely, not just to "*".

	BIND does the same thing.  If you're using UDP communications,
you almost always need to make sure that you send the response packet
on the same interface that you got the query from, and it's not
possible to tell which interface a packet comes in on if you just
listen to INADDR_ANY.

>  You can do that automatically with a ppp.linkup script.

	IIRC, there are a variety of shell scripts that have been posted
to perform this function on the comp.protocols.time.ntp newsgroup.

	We should probably take those and work them into a more
standard/robust form and include those in the contrib/ directory in
the tarball.  That way, not only could they be used with FreeBSD, but
they could also be used with other OSes which incorporate ntpd into
their standard startup procedures (e.g., MacOS X).

	Disclaimer: I am a contributor to ntp.org, and I'm theoretically
responsible for certain scripts found in the BIND contrib/ directory,
but I don't think that this is an area that I'd be
interested/willing/able to handle myself for NTP.  If you've got
something to contribute in this area, I'd be glad to work with you
and the other contributors to get that incorporated.

--
Brad Knowles, <brad.knowles_at_skynet.be>