Re: ehci + axe panics

From: Luke <luked_at_pobox.com>
Date: Thu, 17 Jun 2004 10:03:00 -0700 (PDT)
I have some more information to add to this.
I'm still working on it.

I've added
#define DIAGNOSTIC
#define USB_DEBUG
to usb.h

When I set hw.usb.ehci.debug to 3 or higher.... everything works.  I can
run ssh sessions across the axe interface and even run iperf.  The higher
I set hw.usb.ehci.debug, the more debugging information is displayed, and
the slower the throughput of the connection.  At hw.usb.ehci.debug=3, I'm
getting around 250Kb/s - similar to the speeds I get when I use the device
with ohci.
As soon as I drop hw.usb.ehci.debug down to 2 or lower, throughput goes up
and there's a page fault panic.  Unfortunately, the debugging information
at level 2 isn't very helpful.

Right up before the panic, there are a few "usbd_transfer_cb: short
transfer 0 < 2" and "axe1: read PHY failed" interspersed with all of the
normal spam.  There's normally about three sets of these, then there's a
page fault panic in one of three or four different places.

I'm trying to get enough information to put together a coherent PR or
perhaps fix the problem myself, but this seems to be one of those problems
in science that can't be observed closely without changing it.

I'm still wondering if my device is trying to use a feature of ehci that
isn't implemented yet... but if it were, why would the device work at low
throughput?