Re: Problems installing FreeBSD with 3ware 9500S-4LP

From: Patrick Hurrelmann <outi_at_bytephobia.de>
Date: Fri, 18 Jun 2004 20:49:00 +0200
On Fri, 18 Jun 2004 20:12:53 +0200
Patrick Hurrelmann <outi_at_bytephobia.de> wrote:

> On Fri, 18 Jun 2004 10:27:47 -0700 (PDT)
> Doug White <dwhite_at_gumbysoft.com> wrote:
>
> > Please don't crosspost -questions and other lists. I've removed it from
> > the cc:.
>
> ok, noticed that.
>
> > > finally i received my new raid-controller, bu i have problems installing
> > > FreeBSD on it :/
> > >
> > > I tried different releases and current snapshots...
> >
> > The twa driver is still very new. It just came out a few weeks ago, I
> > think. I haven't seen one of those cards yet and we have a lot of 3ware
> > here.
> >
> > Whats the RAID config?
>
> I forgot to include that. Shame on me.
> 4x 120GB, 7200rpm, 8mb chache WesternDigital Disks are configured as one Raid 5 array.

Disk details: WDC WD1200JB-75GBB0

> > > 5.1-Release
> > > w ACPI: Loading twa.ko (binary distribution of 3ware.com for 5.2) in 		sysinstall failes.
> > > w/o ACPI: same as w ACPI.
> >
> > I wouldn't expect this to work.
>
> I tried that, as download page on 3ware says (FreeBSD 5.1, but i excpect that this is an error)
>
> > > 5.2-Release
> > > w ACPI: loaded twa.ko in sysinstall.
> > > 	install went ok, on next reboot it just halts after BTX-Loader.
> > > 	I cannot load twa.ko in loader.
> > > w/o ACPI: same as w ACPI.
> >
> > Hm, sounds like the loader is getting corrupted. Try booting the install
> > CD, breaking out of the loader countdown and run these commands
> > (untested):
> >
> > unload
> > set rootdev=disk1s1a (or whatever disk you put freebsd on)
> > boot /boot/kernel/kernel
>
> No, i think i didn't make it clearly enough. It halt on BTX-Loader.
> I don't to the "real" loader. I don't see what modules it loads, etc.
> I'll reboot an post the exact message i see.

message is:

BTX loader 1.00 BTX version is 1.01
Console: internal video/keyboard
BIOS: 636kb/523136kb available memory

nothing more. it doesn't get the bios-drives?

> > > 5.2.1-Release
> > > identical to 5.2 Release.
> > >
> > > 5.2-CURRENT-20040420
> > > w ACPI:	install went ok, on next reboot the following message scrolls 		the screen and it reboots:
> > > 	"Console internal keyboard/video" (or sth. like that)
> > > w/o ACPI: same as w ACPI.
> > >
> > > 5.2-CURRENT-20040504
> > > identical to 5.2-CURRENT-20040420
> > >
> > > 5.2-CURRENT-20040617
> > > identical to 5.2-CURRENT-20040420
> > >
> > > I attached a normal and a verbose-dmesg.
> >
> > I'm suspecting two problems:
> >
> > 1. Volume was not created correctly so the loader binary is corrupted
> > 2. The twa Int13 handler doesn't like how boot2 is loading the loader
> > binary, which shouldn't happen.
> >
> > I'd check for a twa firmware update; these sound like firmware or
> > firmware/BIOS issues.
>
> twa.ko from 3ware dowload-site included new firmware. The controller has been updated automatically.

twa firmware is 2.02.00.011
twa bios is 2.02.01.037

asus a7m266-d bios is 1010 (the latest official)

> I have second ide-disk with a some day old current. I can mount the partitions created during install. All seems to be ok.
>
> I tried a install with twa.ko of current, but it panics with an page-fault everytime i load the module through sysinstall.

Patrick Hurrelmann         | "Programming today is a race between software
Mannheim, Germany          |  engineers striving to build bigger and better
outi at bytephobia.de      |  to produce bigger and better idiots. So far,
www.bytephobia.de          |  the Universe is winning."         - Rich Cook