RE: Problems installing Fre*BSD with 3ware 9500S-4LP

From: Vinod Kashyap <vkashyap_at_amcc.com>
Date: Sun, 20 Jun 2004 02:50:36 -0700
Looks like you cannot reboot after an install since the
driver is not part of the OS you just finished installing.

This is what you can do:

1. While installing the OS, load the driver from a floppy
(sysinstall->Configure->KLDLoad).  You are probably already
doing this.
2. After installation, during reboot, escape to the loader
prompt, and again with a floppy with the driver inserted,
load the driver by doing 'load disk0:twa.ko'.
3. Do a 'boot' and you should be able to boot.
4. Once you have successfully rebooted, either build the kernel
with the driver sources, or simply copy the driver binary (twa.ko)
to /boot/kernel, and add the following line
to /boot/loader.conf:
twa_load="YES"
This should make the driver load automatically during every reboot.

Also, sorry about the mistype 'FreeBSD 5.1' on the 3ware
website.  It should indeed be 'FreeBSD 5.2'.  It's in the
process of being corrected.

Please contact 3ware support with any questions you might have.
They should be able to assist you.