Bad IO handling under FreeBSD 5?

From: Michael Riexinger <michael.riexinger_at_de.clara.net>
Date: Mon, 21 Jun 2004 02:35:28 +0200
Hi,

I recognized some strange things under heavy IO. For example when
extracting a large tar.bz2 file (I tested with make extract in
ports/www/firefox), pings via ethernet are sometimes very high
(30-40ms). I noticed that both with SCHED_ULE and SCHED_4BSD. I tested
this on many machines with different hardware (x86) and everytime the
same.
Friends reported, that they have on some machines sound problems
(hanging etc) and X11 mouse pointer hangs, too. No problems under
FreeBSD 4.x. Is there a way to solve these problems?

Thanks!

Michael Riexinger
systems engineer

--
claranet gmbh   internet service provider
tel   +49 (0) 69  - 40 80 18 - 300