Re: calcru: negative time ... followed by freeze

From: Tai-hwa Liang <avatar_at_mmlab.cse.yzu.edu.tw>
Date: Mon, 21 Jun 2004 15:02:02 +0800 (CST)
On Sun, 20 Jun 2004, Don Lewis wrote:
> On 20 Jun, Robert Watson wrote:
> > FYI, this is a Xeon box with two physical processors, each with two
> > logical processors, and the problem could well be SMP-related.
>
> The hang might be SMP-related, but I just started getting the calcru
> messages on my UP Athlon XP box.  I just upgraded to today's
> -CURRENT from a week-old version, and my console got spammed by a bunch
> of these messages while I was running portupgrade.

Same here, though it's not a SMP box(Pentium 4 2.53GHz with HTT enabled,
but only one CPU in hw.ncpu, no "options SMP" in kernel configuration).

After install the latest kernel(cvsup'ed about 5 hours ago) and reboot,
a lot of "calcru: negative time of...." messages popped on the console:

calcru: negative time of 3419 usec for pid 557 (sh)
[... repeated 230+ times]
calcru: negative time of 3419 usec for pid 557 (sh)
calcru: negative time of 3449 usec for pid 7226 (sh)
[... repeated 70 times]
calcru: negative time of 3449 usec for pid 7226 (sh)

Last known working kernel was cvsup'ed on Jun-17-2004. It turns out that
the system doesn't freeze and still works(able to build mozilla firefox
increamentally without crash) at this moment.

> calcru: negative time of 0 usec for pid 21261 (sh)
> calcru: negative time of 0 usec for pid 21261 (sh)
[...]