Re: About the Darwin merge

From: Gordon Bergling <gbergling_at_0xfce3.net>
Date: Thu, 24 Jun 2004 10:56:45 +0200
Bruce Evans wrote:

>On Wed, 23 Jun 2004, Gordon Bergling wrote:
>

>>Xin LI wrote:
>>

>>>Hi, -CURRENT,
>>>

>>>From the 5.3-RELEASE todo page I saw:
>>

>>>"Merge of Darwin msdosfs, other fixes
>>>

>>>Is there someone actively working on this? BTW. A Darwin msdosfs
>>>

>No me.  I have many local changes to merge first (mainly to speed up
>writes by a factor of between 5 and 20 using VMIO and non-pessimal
>cluster allocation).
>

>>>merge patchset, which was originally posted as kern/55861 with
>>>some minor modifications, was committed last December. Shall we
>>>modify the status of this item?
>>>

>That patch set took a lot of work to clean up and fix after it was
>committed.  It remains incomplete.  E.g., fsck_msdosfs always (except
>with -n of course) claims to fix up the dirty flag if it is set, but
>doesn't actually do so unless the FAT needs to be written to fix some
>other problem.
>

>>A few weeks ago I had started to take an deeper look into the darwin sources
>>especially into msdosfs. I had talked to scottl_at_ and if I remember
>>correctly he had
>>cc:ed rwadson_at_ about an initial diff I had created. This diff can be
>>found at
>>http://www.0xfce3.net/files/freebsd/01-msdosfs-darwin-merge-050604.diff
>>(~ 240 KB).
>>
>>This diff is only a diff against HEADs msdosfs and the first release of
>>apples msdosfs (-30).
>>

>More than 50% of it is to undo FreeBSD changes.  E.g., it reverses old
>changes to remove __P(()) and atari support.  A diff relative to the
>2000/08/28 version of -current is only 140K.

I know this of cource, but my thoughts on the possible merge was to look
at what we could
need from msdosfs-30 and if we are done with it I want do take a look at
msdosfs-48. That is
the current version from opendarwin which is also the current version
from apple's website.

A friend of me is working on OpenDarwin and he said that apple didn't
release any changelogs
and that is what it makes hard to see what has changed.

I also know that my hacking knowledge is very limited. I only had
knowledge in general c programming
and a lot of time the next months. That was my attention. ;)

best regards,

          Gordon