Re: fetch hangs on 6/24/04 current build

From: Jon Noack <noackjr_at_alumni.rice.edu>
Date: Fri, 25 Jun 2004 00:59:29 -0500
On 06/24/04 23:09, Conrad J. Sabatier wrote:
> I just upgraded both of my machines today, and since then, I'm getting
> lots of hangs during port fetches.  I don't know if this is just a
> local problem, or a problem with my ISP's routing, or what.
>
> Any recommendations on how to diagnose what's going on here?

This happened to me a week or so ago -- the workaround for me was to not
set the FTP_PROXY and HTTP_PROXY environment variables.  When I tried to
use a proxy, it hung; without, everything worked fine.  By the way, wget
worked fine even with the proxy, so it was just fetch that was
misbehaving.  Note that I was just starting to define those variables
when I noticed the problem; I can't say from experience that fetch ever
worked properly with a proxy...

If you're not using a proxy, there was a recent commit to fetch that
could have broken things for you:
http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/cvs-src/2004-June/026022.html

This just changed the behavior of -S (checking the size); do you see a
"size unknown" error message before the hang?  In any case, you could
try to back out rev. 1.68 and recompile fetch.

Speculation:
There's a lot going on in networking right now.  ipf 3.4.35 landed
recently -- this could be related to that.  As I don't use ipf I'm not
sure of a workaround.

Gross speculation at this point:
Something else you could try is disabling SACK (it just landed a couple
days ago).  To do that just 'sysctl net.inet.tcp.sack.enable=0' and try
again.  However, the SACK implementation came from Yahoo.  I would bet
it's been tested fairly well and doubt that it is to blame...

I'm sure someone else more knowledgeable can provide better answers.
These are just my (hopefully not humorously) ignorant guesses.

Jon

Jon