Re: fetch hangs on 6/24/04 current build

From: Robert Watson <rwatson_at_freebsd.org>
Date: Fri, 25 Jun 2004 10:03:58 -0400 (EDT)
On Fri, 25 Jun 2004, Conrad J. Sabatier wrote:

> I tried switching to wget, using "FETCH_CMD=wget -v -c" in
> /etc/make.conf, and got the most bizarre behavior, something I've never
> seen before.  wget would fail each time, complaining about "invalid
> option --".  Very strange.

It might be interesting to look at the following:

- Use sockstat/netstat to identify the fetch socket, and see whether
  either the send of the receive queue contains some amount of persistent,
  un-processed data.  This would suggest if the application was stalling
  and not reading, or that TCP was stalling and not sending.

- Use DDB to generate a stack trace of the fetch process in-kernel,
  perhaps a few to see whether it's stuck in one place, and if so, where.
  This would tell us what it's stuck doing.

- Use ktrace to generate a trace of fetch and "see what it's doing" when
  it appears to hang -- is it looping waiting for I/O, just blocked in
  kernel, etc.

robert_at_fledge.watson.org      Principal Research Scientist, McAfee Research