Re: HEADSUP: ibcs2 and svr4 compat headed for history

From: Scott Long <scottl_at_samsco.org>
Date: Sat, 26 Jun 2004 04:42:44 -0600
Greg 'groggy' Lehey wrote:
> On Saturday, 26 June 2004 at 11:32:20 +0200, Poul-Henning Kamp wrote:
>
>>The ibcs2 and svr4 compatibility code has outlived their useful lives,
>>mainly because their target platforms are practically extinct.
>>
>>They will be eliminated from -current in the coming week, unless very
>>compelling reasons to the contrary are put on the table.
>>
>>The change consists of the elimination of the following directories
>>and assorted changes to makefiles and sys/conf and various NOTES
>>to record this fact:
>>
>>	compat/svr4
>>	dev/streams
>>	i386/ibcs2
>>	i386/svr4
>>	modules/ibcs2
>>	modules/svr4
>

> Has this been approved of by the core team or any other official organ
> of the project?
>
> Greg
> --

It has been discussed and I've given my input on it.  To summarize,
there is little evidence that either of these subsystems has been
maintained other than mechanically.  The SVR4 support barely covers
Solaris 2.6, and the ibcs2 support is basically irrelevant these days
considering the fate of that platform.  Neither of these are going away
in 4.x, and they can always be brought out of the Attic later on if
warranted.

Scott