Giving up on x buffers - losing files

From: Arjan van Leeuwen <avleeuwen_at_piwebs.com>
Date: Sat, 26 Jun 2004 19:14:22 +0200
I've had this problem for a long time with 5.x, but it doesn't seem to
happen that often. Today it bit me hard.

Sometimes, particularly after doing a lot of file writes (i.e. compiling a
lot of ports, building world and mergemastering, etc), I get the 'Giving
up on x buffers' message on shutdown, and my filesystems come up dirty
when I restart.

This wouldn't be such an enormous problem, if it wouldn't always erase the
files I changed most recently. The files are simply reduced to 0 bytes. My
configuration files for Opera and KDE have been victim to this more than
once (because Opera writes to the file on exit, for example), but today,
it was /etc/master.passwd that was reduced to 0 bytes (because I had just
changed something in it).

I understand that turning of write caching might improve the situation,
but it also makes my system a lot slower, and I don't like that on my
desktop system.

So, why does this happen? And how do I prevent it from happening? This
definitely does _not_ sound like something I want my servers to do when
5.x goes -STABLE.

Arjan