Re: HEADSUP: ibcs2 and svr4 compat headed for history

From: David O'Brien <obrien_at_FreeBSD.org>
Date: Sat, 26 Jun 2004 21:26:34 -0700
On Sun, Jun 27, 2004 at 01:27:17AM +0200, Poul-Henning Kamp wrote:
> Why do you think that a HEADSUP was sent to current_at_ David ?

General readers of freebsd-current isn't our project management body.

> Presumably you belive I did that to try to sneak this decision past
> your highly sensitive nose, the bulk of the committers, our most
> active users, the core team, the TRB, UN peace-keeping forces, and
> Lloyds Register ?

I've seen some core members admit they no longer read freebsd-current
because of the high S-N ratio.  So sending something to freebsd-current
assuming all Core or TRB members will see it is in fallacy.

> Or could it be, just by chance, that I recognized that nobody on
> core (or the TRB) would have enough information to answer the very
> simple question:  "Is there a significant use of these bits which
> we are currently unaware off ?", and therefore decided to poll a
> larger audience ?

I think you presume to know too much about what all the Core and TRB
members know.  I think you should be pushing this agenda (so publicly
implying full authority to do this), only after consulting with one of
Core/TRB of your intentions.

> (If you answer this correctly David, you win a little yellow rubber
> mat you can stomp on next time you get upset about somebody not
> "following procedures")

It is well known you prefer drive-by commits, ride roughshod over, and
acting unilaterally.  I don't think all of the project does.  phkBSD is
around the other corner, thanks.

--
-- David  (obrien_at_FreeBSD.org)