Re: Suggest to upgrade some software in base

From: Divacky Roman <xdivac02_at_stud.fit.vutbr.cz>
Date: Mon, 28 Jun 2004 10:09:41 +0200
On Sun, Jun 27, 2004 at 10:02:43AM -0700, David O'Brien wrote:
> On Sun, Jun 27, 2004 at 04:54:08PM +0200, Divacky Roman wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I digged through our base system and looked for versions of contributed
> > soft.  I found these program which could (and I think should) be easily
> > and painlessly upgraded (before 5.3 as 5-STABLE) because they are
> > outdated etc...  these are:
> >
> > file - 3.41 -> 4.09
> > Painless upgrade and the benefit is much newer magic file
> > ftp://ftp.astron.com/pub/file/
>
> Only semi-painless.  The code and how it is built has changed around a
> lot, else I would have upgraded it by now.  That said, in progress; but
> lower priority than my toolchain work.
>
> And why does this have to happen before 5-STABLE?  I can certainly MFC
> something like this.

of course it doesnt HAVE to be upgraded but I think it should be...

anyway - that was what I saw and considered good candidates for
upgrading its up to you to do whats needed ;)

I would also like to raise that tcsh upgrade - that is CERTAINLY
painless since its only about some 36 bugs repaired and nothing more...

roman