Re: HEADSUP: ibcs2 and svr4 compat headed for history

From: Charles Swiger <cswiger_at_mac.com>
Date: Tue, 29 Jun 2004 13:10:52 -0400
On Jun 29, 2004, at 4:28 AM, Poul-Henning Kamp wrote:
> In message <40DF2607.5020409_at_mac.com>, Chuck Swiger writes:
>> In other words, I care quite a bit about how "working, supported
>> functionality" gets transitioned to "no longer available".  I'm not
>> happy with
>> the notion of "supported" -> "HEADS UP" -> one week -> gone.
>
> I don't think anybody would be happy with that, and that is not what
> was proposed in this case.

OK.  While I thought your original "HEADS UP" was clear, perhaps you
had a less abrupt transition plan in mind.

If you suggested that the ibcs/svr4 compatibility stuff should be
marked depreciated for 5.3, and give people until 5.4 time find someone
willing to do maintenance for the code, or give someone time to move
this functionality to ports, or find some other alternative, that might
receive more positive feedback.

> The future of ibcs2 and svr4 has been in doubt for a long time (and
> still is pending developer attention), but appearantly most of the
> previous discussion and warnings have not been noticed:
[ ...cvs annotate... ]
> Searching the major mailing lists (bugs, stable, current etc) failed
> to return any hits about this.

End-users may not read /usr/src/UPDATING or the published release notes
either, but at least those are the places they are _expected_ to look
at if they want to know what is changing.  I don't think we can
reasonably expect an end-user to look though the output of "cvs
annotate"...  :-)

--
-Chuck