Re: panic: kmem_malloc; Should I increase some setting?

From: Doug White <dwhite_at_gumbysoft.com>
Date: Tue, 29 Jun 2004 18:22:57 -0700 (PDT)
On Wed, 30 Jun 2004, Ronald Klop wrote:

> I get the following panics while untarring a 30MB archive on an md device
> create with:
> tmpmfs="YES"
> tmpsize="256m"

This is a malloc-backed md disk, which consumes memory directly from KVM.
If you do a large extraction it will consume all of KVM and cause your
panic.  Unless you're running diskless and this is your only option
besides NFS, either don't use tmpmfs or avoid extracting large amounts of
data to /tmp.