Re: if_ndis kernel crashing

From: Bill Paul <wpaul_at_FreeBSD.ORG>
Date: Wed, 30 Jun 2004 23:04:34 +0000 (GMT)
> I believe you are right, have to load the modules once the system has
> boot, and also make sure to unload the modules before you shutdown
> otherwise you might get a kernel panic like I do ...

Well, my broker is E. F. Hutton, and he believes the following:

- The NDISulator never needs to load any files from /compat/ndis unless
  specifically asked to by the driver. If the driver doesn't call
  NdisOpenFile(), there's no attempt to touch any filesystems. Only
  certain drivers that rely on external firmware image files use
  this facility. If you don't have such a driver, you're barking up
  the wrong tree.

- Several of you have said "it panicks" but _NONE_ of you have bothered
  to show the actual panic messages.

Yes, they matter. Get a pencil and write them down if you have to.
It's not rocket surgery. Also, there's no reason why you can't add
options DDB to your kernel and get a stack trace when it panicks
(a panic during device probing should still drop you to the DDB
prompt, if I'm not mistaken). Again, you may have to actually write
the information down on paper to preserve it, but I think we can all
agree this isn't such an enormous hardship.

-Bill

-Bill Paul            (510) 749-2329 | Senior Engineer, Master of Unix-Fu
                 wpaul_at_windriver.com | Wind River Systems
              <adamw> you're just BEGGING to face the moose