Assembler broken by getopt_long_only changes

From: John Birrell <jb_at_cimlogic.com.au>
Date: Mon, 1 Mar 2004 19:25:49 +1100
On an up-to-date current system, I see breakage in 'as' on i386 which I
attribute to the getopt_long_only change. I expect that the same breakage
will be present on other architectures.

ports/graphics/tiff runs configure without using the -pipe argument to gcc.
The new behaviour of getopt_long_only() returns -1 when it encounters an
argument which isn't an option. The old behaviour (confirmed by winding
the current machine back to Feb 20, 2004 sources) returns 1. The change
causes 'as' to ignore a file name argument and hang waiting on a read from
stdin. Most people won't see the problem because they use the -pipe argument
to gcc which passes '-' instead of the file name.

I don't understand which this change was necessary. The binutils sources
distributed by the FSF contain working code that current can continue to
use. That code even has test code associated with it, which is more than
the new code has. If there is a problem with the FSF code, then contribute
a fix to them.

--
John Birrell