Re: can't boot new kernel

From: Kris Kennaway <kris_at_obsecurity.org>
Date: Mon, 1 Mar 2004 05:16:36 -0800
On Mon, Mar 01, 2004 at 12:19:24AM +0300, Anton Karpov wrote:
> This is a common question, maybe not suitable for this maillist, but I would
> like to hear any ideas how to work it out.
> Let suppose I build new world and kernel, reboot my current box, and new
> kernel fails to boot (actually it hangs while detecting ata). So I should to
> go into load prompt  and type 'boot /boot/kernel.bak/kernel', whouldn't I?
> Ok, I try to boot and old kernel but now it fails too (maybe because of new
> world?). So now I'm without any working kernel. The only way I see to solve
> this trouble is to compile a sutable kernel on another machine, boot with
> installation/recovery cd, escape to recovery shell, mount root partition and
> replace /boot/kernel/ with another one? Or does load prompt can offer me any
> builtin feature to avoid using recovery live cd (cuz i haven't neither such
> cd, nor another bsd box actually :)

You need to get a working kernel onto that machine somehow.  This is
the same question as "What are the different ways of booting a FreeBSD
kernel?".  There are lots of possibilities, including floopies, CDs,
tftp booting, NFS booting, PXE booting, and probably others I have
forgotten.  See the handbook for more information.

Kris