detecting overheating processors?

From: Colin Percival <colin.percival_at_wadham.ox.ac.uk>
Date: Tue, 02 Mar 2004 12:57:26 +0000
   I'm seeing something very interesting with FreeBSD Update: Lots
of overheating processors.  FreeBSD Update operates by checking
MD5 hashes, applying patches, and checking the MD5 hashes of the
patched files.  If the file is wrong after patching, it downloads
the entire file (and verifies its hash).
   A significant number of machines (around 5%) running FreeBSD
Update have downloaded several patch files, and downloaded one
or two complete files.  This indicates that FreeBSD Update is
working properly, it is managing to find and execute the patch
tool (there was a $PATH problem in earlier versions), but in
some cases the patch isn't being applied properly.  As far as
I can see, the failure is random; there isn't any one patch
file which is more prone to errors.
   After talking to a few people who experienced this, I'm sure
this is due to heat problems, which leads me to wonder: How
many problems are being reported which are the result of
overheating?  Is it time to add a simple computational stress
test into FreeBSD (maybe even as part of the install process)
in order to detect problematic hardware?

Colin Percival