Re: worst FreeBSD EVAR. (crash on boot)

From: John Baldwin <jhb_at_FreeBSD.org>
Date: Tue, 2 Mar 2004 11:49:18 -0500
On Monday 01 March 2004 10:52 pm, Alfred Perlstein wrote:
> * John Baldwin <jhb_at_FreeBSD.org> [040301 13:38] wrote:
> > This code looks to be in the BIOS.  Yep, fc492 is in the BIOS.  You
> > shouldn't be getting this panic with ACPI as we don't call the BIOS to
> > route interrupts for the ACPI case.  You are probably a victim of
> > whatever broke BIOS32 calls in 5.x (all the way back to 5.0) that causes
> > panics in the !ACPI PnP BIOS probe on 845 and 865-based motherboards.
>
> But 5.2-BETA works... I don't understand.

Well, I'm not sure what the actual bug is, and it may be due to where certain
code is physically located meaning that other changes since 5.2-BETA may now
cause the bug to appear.  When I tried to track down my problems with 5.x
there were no diffs of any content between 4.x and 5.x in bios.c, but I still
always got the panic on 5.x.  I think it is some kind of pmap bug or other.