Re: My planned work on networking stack

From: Bruce M Simpson <bms_at_spc.org>
Date: Tue, 2 Mar 2004 19:32:58 +0000
On Tue, Mar 02, 2004 at 07:09:02PM +0300, Gleb Smirnoff wrote:
>   I do not insist that AS pathes in kernel are good idea. If you show me an
> other way to get AS information when constructing netflow exports in kernel,
> I'd be thankful. I'd be also thankful if you describe how policy routing can be
> implemented while no AS info in kernel.
>   What do other FreeBSD networking withards think?

I don't see any reason why we couldn't accept, for example, a 32-bit cookie
for abuse by a userland daemon, with pid, as it pleases (via an rtmsg
extension and PF_ROUTE). That is generic enough to provide the tie-in
needed with the userland RIB and the kernel FIB.

ABI breakage may occur, but I would consider that the PF_ROUTE code is in need
of an overhaul anyway (see my mail to ru_at_ from some months ago on -current or
-net with code able to panic a kernel through malformed rtmsg contents).

BMS