Was: My planned work on networking stack (vimage)

From: Julian Elischer <julian_at_elischer.org>
Date: Tue, 2 Mar 2004 12:01:08 -0800 (PST)
The major problem with 'vimage' is that all statics are moved to a large
structure so that they can be duplicated...
e.g. The root of the interface list gets moved there so that each
vimage has its own list of interfaces.

 This is ok for statically compiled modules, but what can you do for
adding new modules.. either statically of dynamically..

You end up having to have each module have it's own structure and each
vimage has to have its own list or array of such structures..

so to use the example above,
ifp = TAILQ_HEAD(ifhead) /* I forget the exact names */

becomes something like:

ifp = TAILQ_HEAD((struct
netbase_statics*)(p->vimage[netbase_index])->ifhead);

Where netbase_index is a global set when the networking base module is
loaded or linked in, (no idea by who), and the 'vimage' becomes an array
of void * pointers, each pointing to a different structure aof variables
that were once static, each structure being variables related to a
different module.

This could be done but it starts to look a lot like the TLS (Thread
Local Storage) stuff.
And it would pretty definitly have a performance impact.