Re: if_bfe hangs?

From: Mike Makonnen <mtm_at_identd.net>
Date: Tue, 2 Mar 2004 20:03:09 +0300
Message: 27
Date: Mon, 1 Mar 2004 22:19:05 -0000
From: "Duncan Barclay" <dmlb_at_dmlb.org>
Subject: Re: if_bfe hangs?
To: "Daniel O'Connor" <doconnor_at_gsoft.com.au>,
        <freebsd-current_at_freebsd.org>

> Hi,
> I have a Dell Inspiron 8600 which has the Broadcom BCM4401 ethernet
controller
> in it, so I am using if_bfe. Mostly it seems to work, but just recently I
> visted a friend who had a 10Mbit hub and I could reliably get my entire
> system to wedge if I did even a small amount of network activity..
>
> Has anyone had a similar experience? I have a 10Mbit hub at work so I
might
> see if it's repeatable, but it's a solid hang (can't break into debugger)
so
> it might be difficult to debug :(

A couple of people have mentioned this, but I haven't seen it.

I've found that my Dell Inspiron 5100 laptop, which also uses the same
chip, usually hangs when working with bad network cables. Otherwise,
it works fine in 100BaseTX or 10BaseT.

Cheers.
--
Mike Makonnen  | GPG-KEY: http://www.identd.net/~mtm/mtm.asc
mtm_at_identd.net | Fingerprint: AC7B 5672 2D11 F4D0 EBF8  5279 5359 2B82 7CD4 1F55