Re: ps Causes Hard Hang

From: Cy Schubert <Cy.Schubert_at_komquats.com>
Date: Wed, 03 Mar 2004 10:31:10 -0800
In message <p060204aebc6bcc751ad9_at_[128.113.24.47]>, Garance A Drosihn writes:
> At 9:21 AM -0800 3/3/04, Cy Schubert wrote:
> >I'm running 5 -CURRENT systems. My firewall system, using IPF, hard
> >hangs  every time ps is entered -- totally unresponsive, requiring
> >either a power cycle or reset switch to bring it back to life.
>
> Do you mean the 'ps' command?
> or do you mean some form of power-save mode?

The ps command and top both cause the hard hang.

Userland and kernel are in sync too.

Of the 5 -CURRENT systems I run, this is the only one with the problem.

Prior to this I was using -CURRENT as of Feb 12. I upgraded on Feb 27,
after which the problems started to occur. At the time WATCHDOG
reset the system however as of yesterday's build SW_WATCHDOG doesn't
work so I'm left with a hard hang.

I thought it might be if_tun or ipf however I use those here at work,
so that rules them out.

So far the only thing I can think of is this:

  FreeBSD src repository

  Modified files:
    sys/kern             kern_proc.c
    sys/sys              sysctl.h
  Log:
  Add sysctls to allow showing threads for pgrp, tty, uid, ruid,
  and pid.

  Revision  Changes    Path
  1.198     +31 -7     src/sys/kern/kern_proc.c
  1.123     +4 -0      src/sys/sys/sysctl.h

At one time earlier this year dc(4) stopped working until I removed
atapicam from the kernel, which BTW, caused hang during boot of one
of my other systems, so removing it resolved that problem last night,
however it didn't resolve this issue.

Cheers,
--
Cy Schubert <Cy.Schubert_at_komquats.com>        http://www.komquats.com/
BC Government                     .                       FreeBSD UNIX