System hangs with vnode backed md(4) devices -- still a problem?

From: Nik Clayton <nik_at_freebsd.org>
Date: Wed, 3 Mar 2004 22:07:17 +0000
Toward the end of last year, through to earlier this year, -current had
a problem with vnode backed md(4) devices.  Specifically,

     truncate -s 6G foo.md
     mdconfig -a -t vnode -f foo.md -u 0
     newfs /dev/md0
     mount /dev/md0 /mnt
     rsync /large/amount/of/data /mnt

would cause the rsync process to eventually get stuck in a wdrain
state, and other processes in the system would gradually hang --
processes were still running, but doing anything that might need to
read from a buffer caused the process to hang.  Eventually, everything
would be hung.

If I'm reading the mailing lists right, this was supposed to be solved
here:

http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-current/2003-November/
013183.html

However, I'm still seeing the problem in -current from Jan 14th.  So
I'm wondering if anyone else is seeing it, and if not, a rough idea of
when it was fixed.  I'm trying to avoid the pain of updating to a very
recent current (nVidia issues, having to spend days rebuilding ports)
if the problem still exists.

Cheers,