Re: Jails in -CURRENT

From: Eirik Oeverby <ltning_at_anduin.net>
Date: Wed, 3 Mar 2004 23:31:43 +0100 (CET)
Hi,

I can give you an outline of what my script does, then it'll be for you to judge if it can be called a 'jail management' tool.. ;)

Current features:
 - Starting jails (brings up interface alias, mounts proc, linprocfs (if enabled), /usr/ports and /usr/src from the host (read-only), starts the jail)
 - Stopping jails (finds all processes belonging to a jail, TERM/KILL signals are sent, filesystems are unmounted, interface taken down)
 - Creating jails (uses the standard installworld target, then modifies key configuration files to be jail-compliant, deletes unnecessary and non-working files and directories, installs predefined packages and does other adjustments to the jail internal configuration, sets a default root password and enables remote root login)
 - Upgrading jails (installworld, and then mergemaster, with cleanup afterwards)
 - Deleting jails (guess...)
 - Jail status (lists running/not running/not configured jails)

Future plans include finding a way to inject processes into jails (though I fear this might be impossible on -STABLE without patches), allowing listing of jail processes from outside the jail (done in an hour or two if I find the time ;), and better configureability.

The script is written entirely for /bin/sh (it's actually my first ever real shellscript), and in the hope that it might be useful for someone. I have a secret dream of having it included in the default freebsd distribution...

If you or anyone want to test it, let me know.

/Eirik